MENU

5.24.2018

Lately 5/24/18


+ We've been starting to explore our local nature classroom/"food forest," and it's proving to be an interesting experience for both of us. First I attended a little workshop they gave about how to use the nature classroom, and we've also been starting to go to the weekly community play time they have on Thursday mornings. It's not really my idea of fun to go stand in the hot sun for an hour and a half, even if it is morning, but E has been loving it. Part of that might be because her cousins meet us there (and she practically worships them), but she talks about the stuff she did when we come home--and even recreated one here--so I think she's getting into the activities more as we keep going. If you have no idea what a nature classroom or food forest is, Google it. It's a neat concept, and I'm really surprised/impressed that our city actually has this. Perhaps I'll write something more detailed another time.

+ I dumped a bunch of bird seed on a little plate a month or two ago and set it on the railing of our deck where we could see it from the kitchen table. To be honest, I didn't think just putting it on a plate would work, but I wanted to give it a try before either buying a feeder or tossing the seed. Happily, the plate works like a charm, and we've been watching the birds that visit it all spring. So far we've had several visitors: house finches, house sparrows, a brown-headed cowbird, and a mourning dove. I also watched a European starling stand on the deck and squawk the other day, but he wasn't there for the seeds.

+ In early May, we discovered a killdeer had made a nest in the empty lot next door, and we could see her from our back deck. We were all excited and watched her (or the couple, we couldn't tell--we only ever saw one at a time, but our guidebook says the males and females look alike, so who knows) closely. I even made a complete fool of myself flagging down the man driving the giant mower and begging him not to run over the nest (they nest on the ground). All for naught, though, because one day both the bird and the eggs were just gone--probably eaten by something. I know, I know, it's nature and that's how it goes, but still. Slightly crushed. Luckily, we have a nest of robins under the deck to distract us, and the eggs should be hatching any day now.

+ The garden is taking shape! (Finally.) Between the weather, some fungus that killed all our seedlings, and a hungry ground squirrel, things started off pretty rocky this year. But we brought in our first spinach harvest last night, and we've been using green onions and chives for a while now. I snipped off the chives blossoms and used them to make chive vinegar, which I will use to make this vinaigrette recipe when it's finished. I've never done either before, so we'll see how it turns out. We used some of the blossoms in mashed potatoes recently, which was good but also pretty strong. E didn't like them and asked to spit them out, but the idea of eating flowers must seem fun to her because she keeps trying (and keeps not liking) them.

+ I've been listening to music composed by Aaron Copland, who we were introduced to by my sister-in-law back at Easter. I'll admit, I don't have a very refined musical palate, so sometimes classical misses the mark with me. And I'm not even sure if Copland technically counts as classical music. *shrug* Oh well, I like it. You should look him up.

+ The newcomer to the local internet provider roster is installing their fiber in our neighborhood--actually, in our back yard, where the utility box hub things are (what are those called?). It's mostly just noise and extra people around, but they did drive their big ditch witch machine on our property, leaving behind some deep trenches and dead grass. Not pleased. We're hoping we can get them to replace the sod in that area, but I highly doubt we'll be successful.

What's new in your neck of the woods?

4 comments :

  1. So jealous of your spinach success. Something is eating mine and I'm almost sure it's the mourning doves. Aaron Copland is considered modern (in the baroque/classical/romantic/modern classification system that usually all gets called classical) and I'm glad you're enjoying him and don't let Alex tell you his music is too brass-heavy because we all know that's not even possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a few mourning doves around, but they haven't bothered the spinach. I didn't know they would, actually. I'll have to keep an eye on them. Just today, we got to watch one try to walk down the railing on the deck and completely biff it. HA. They're fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably not the dove, but that seemed more likely than the squirrel who is our other main visitor. It's probably bugs that I'm not seeing. But yes, watching mourning doves is great.

      Delete
  3. Last year as soon as our strawberries began to ripen and were ready for us to pick... a group of robins repeatedly would swing by and eat them all. The worst part was that they would just peck a strawberry a few times, just enough to make it inedible by us, then they would move on to the next berry. Although, truth be told I just watched them through the sliding glass door because birds gotta eat too. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete