MENU

9.12.2017

Dear E [9/12/17]

Dear E,

Today we attended our first day of "classes" at the homeschooling co-op we're trying out this fall. You're taking music, a nature play session, story time, and ABCs/health, so it's nothing rigorous. I just really wanted to get us out of the house and in the company of other like-minded people (meaning homeschoolers). It's a social thing at this point.

I have to be honest here: I've been pretty nervous about this whole venture. Not just because of my own shyness, though that's definitely a factor. But also because you, my little bug, are rather shy yourself. Six months ago, you cried at the playground because another little girl wanted to play with you and be your friend. I know you've grown up a lot since then and have been doing better interacting with other people, but I still wasn't sure how you were going to handle something so foreign as a preschool class. So it was with some doubt that I got you up this morning with the excited exclamation, "It's co-op day!"

But E, you proved me wrong in every way today. You totally rocked it. When a little boy with a backpack sat next to you, you excitedly told him that your backpack was pink. When the teacher commented on another little girl's princess dress, you jumped right in and told her all about your princess dress. When all the kids glued construction paper together to make owl faces, you didn't stare or watch anxiously--you made an owl, too. When the teacher asked you a question, you answered her. When the nature play class went outside to play duck, duck, goose, you didn't cling to me or even watch to make sure I stayed close--you sat down and played yourself some duck, duck, goose.

I know I'm being overly emotional--I'm pregnant, it comes with the territory--but I'm so proud of you. You've grown up so much this year! Six months ago, you would have spent the day glued to my side, you wouldn't have spoken to anyone, and you might have cried a few times. But you were so brave today, little one. You jumped right in with a bunch of kids you don't know, and you had fun doing it.

I loved watching you today--you surprised me in the best way possible. I can't wait to see how much more you grow over the next few months and the next few years. You're incredible, and I love you.

Love always,
Mom

1 comment :