MENU

3.26.2019

Memory Making Mom (book review)

Be a different kind of mom. Break through the distractions and create lasting memories.
What’s the solution to gaining the balanced, meaningful life you desire with your family? Create traditions that bring joy and significance. Popular "Smartter Each Day" blogger and mom of three, Jessica Smartt explains why memory-making is the puzzle piece that today’s families are longing for. She highlights ten tradition-gifts kids need most, including a rich resource of two hundred–plus unique traditions. She also offers practical encouragement to modern parents to keep on adventuring—even when they are fighting distractions, are on a budget, and exhausted.


I am a big fan of Sally Clarkson's Life-Giving Home, so I jumped at the chance to read this book as well. Over 200 ideas for specific traditions? I love reading big, unwieldy lists like that. Most of the time, less than 10 percent of such lists is usable, so the more ideas on there, the better. Bring it on.

Apparently, the author is a blogger, though I've never read her writing before. I can't say how much of this content is unique and much is pulled from blog posts, but in my case it doesn't really matter. If you're a follower of her blog, well, you'll have to decide for yourself whether it's worth it to buy the book as opposed to scouring past posts.

The book places traditions into categories such as food traditions, work, rest, seasons, faith, etc. Each chapter has a discussion about the whys and whens and whats, then a short list of ideas you could incorporate into your family life or use as a jumping-off point for creating something unique to your family. Those ideas are also compiled into one long list in the back of the book, in case you want to skip all the chit chat and get right down to business.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It's one of those inspirational type books that makes you feel sortof warm and cozy and excited to do stuff with your kids even though you fully expect it to be a little painful and stressful. (#reality) I don't know that I would ever go back and re-read this content, though. I'm already convinced of the value of traditions and shared experiences, so I'm really just interested in the list of ideas. And the list was just fine. Some good thoughts, nothing mind-blowing or really groundbreaking, but usable stuff. If you've never considered your family traditions or tried to be intentional about cultivating them, then this is a good book for you. If you've started down that path already, then maybe check it out from the library instead.

No comments :

Post a Comment