12.21.2017
Lately 12/21/17
+ E is obsessed with The Nutcracker. We read an adaptation by Susan Jeffers (lovely illustrations, but the text isn't great) and then watched a performance of the ballet on Youtube. Ever since, she's been pretending to be Marie. She dances around the kitchen wearing scarves (which are apparently her ballerina dresses--she demands that I say "ooo!" when she puts on the sparkly one), and she carries this giraffe baby toy around as her nutcracker. Hilarious.
+ I am the world's slowest thank-you note writer. If I get them written at all, that is. Z is nearly two months old and I'm just now getting around to writing notes to people who dropped off meals for us. It's shameful.
+ Z proved herself rather sensitive to caffeine a while back (a truly awful experience for all of us). So mama had to switch to decaf coffee. (It's not the same, y'all.) Turns out, finding a flavored decaf is kindof difficult. I finally found this one at Target (where else?). It does the trick.
+ The Christmas festivities are about to begin. We have family gatherings all over the state, and we ourselves have (small, manageable) plans for each of the 12 days of Christmas. I was excited for all this, but by now I'm feeling a little let down. To be honest, the holiday season has felt like a big flop. I knew we'd have to take it slow this year with a baby, but the reality has been even less stellar than I anticipated. We opted to put up our small tree (yes, we have two main trees... the small one we bought when we were first married and a big one my grandma gave us a few years later), which was less work but also has less of a wow factor. We missed going to our favorite festival event for the first time. We haven't gone to any events, actually. The girls got nadda in the way of festive pajamas or clothes. We haven't baked anything. Even the weather has been out of sorts, with highs in the upper 50s and even low 60s.
Does it sound like I'm throwing myself a pity party? I guess I am. I keep trying to remind myself that 1) none of those things are the point anyway and 2) Z will be older next year and we'll be back to our favorite fun stuff like it's nothing. But it still feels rough.
+ My biggest accomplishment this month has been keeping up with the laundry and getting Z's baby book all assembled and up-to-date. Not much, but it feels pretty Herculean. So, go me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)

No comments :
Post a Comment