E's Easter basket this year was incredibly easy. Somehow, I ended up with an extra little tub of sidewalk chalk from last year's trip through the Target dollar section. I also have a couple Disney princess barbies and a pack of new crayons in the gift closet that I can stick in there. I'll grab some candy (because it's a celebration, right?) to add in, but otherwise that's about it. Except for the books. No gift-giving celebration is complete without new books. Here are the ones I selected for E's basket this year:
Jesus Storybook Bible
I've heard about this book a thousand and one times, so I jumped when I finally got the chance to review this pretty gift edition. I wouldn't call it a bible, exactly, but I still think it's pretty great. It does a wonderful job of telling bible stories in a way that kids will understand--but the biggest asset here is how well the book ties every single story back to Jesus very explicitly. Most of the time, it's up to C and I to do some additional explaining and discussion with E when we read bible stories (of course, she's 2, so it's not like that's hard at this point). The Storybook Bible is written in such a way that the discussion is already opened up for you by the time you reach the end of the story--I love that.The illustrations inside are nice, though maybe not my favorite among all of our books. They're quality, attractive images though, for sure.
All in all, I wouldn't recommend it as your only children's bible (I think you'll also need something with more of the original text in it), but I definitely think it's a good addition, especially for elementary-aged kids who are ready for some of that extra discussion.
Found
This 20-page board book is basically a paraphrase of Psalm 23, intended to connect with kids. It's written by the same woman who did the Storybook Bible--in fact, the same content is found in the Storybook Bible itself (FYI). This separate copy makes a good gift, though--particularly for a baptism or (obviously) Easter.The illustrations in Found are beautiful enough to appeal to parents with an eye for design, and the concept is interesting. It could be a good way to introduce the Psalms to your kiddo without simply pulling out the originals. However, it leaves something to be desired for a kid older than, say, five. I like having it in our little library for a kid E's age, though--it allows us to directly reinforce the idea that God loves us without just telling her he does. I think it's a good choice for young kids--older kids can handle more meat.
What's in your kid's Easter basket this year?
P.S. I received these books for review purposes. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


No comments :
Post a Comment