MENU

7.19.2017

Our favorite books to help teach little people big stuff


Our Father, Ignatius Press 
We have this particular book, and there's also a Hail Mary version. It's simply the text of the prayers paired with beautiful illustrations (that E is fascinated by). I like that the words of the prayer are allowed to stand on their own, and it's a great way to familiarize a child with these beautiful prayers. I'll be sticking our Our Father book in our morning basket this fall so we can practice and E can memorize it, and I'm hoping to get my hands on a copy of the Hail Mary book in the near future.

Life of a Saint series
We have two of these books so far--Bernadette and Francis of Assisi. They are WONDERFUL. The story is told in "chapters" that are very short and easy to understand. I love, love, love these for sharing the lives of the saints with E, and I very much hope that Ignatius publishes more in the near future (the collection in this particular series is relatively small).

The Beginner's Bible Noah and the Noisy Ark
This book is meant for young toddlers and/or babies, but I still like it for E at this point. It's the story of Noah and the ark, and it hits every important point--which isn't always the case with bible storybooks. The illustrations are kindof cartoon-ey, which isn't necessarily my favorite, but it's certainly not the worst artwork for a child's book (we all know there's some truly terrible artwork out there, amiright?). It has a hole in the top to form a carrying handle, which E could care less about but will be nice when baby gets a hold of it. It's a straightforward retelling without gimmicks or any sort of weird twist on telling the tale. This is another one I plan on putting in our morning basket this fall and using as a way to kickstart discussion about Noah's story (along with our for-older-kids storybook bible).

The Jesus Storybook Bible
I've already written about this book, but I have to include it here again because I really like it. The biggest asset of this book is how well it ties every single story back to Jesus right in the text. A parent can and should do that when reading to children, of course, but the storybook bible makes it easy and natural. Paired with reading actual scripture, I think it's a great resource.

A Missal for Toddlers
Full disclosure: I don't actually own this book. But it's on my wishlist, and the reviews I've read make me really excited about it. E is at an age where she's quiet in mass, but not attentive. This book walks a child through the mass so he/she can connect what's happening on the altar with what's happening on the page. I think it's a perfect way for us to start "studying" the mass and would help us draw her into participating more and more.

No comments :

Post a Comment