MENU

2.07.2017

Currently 2/7/17


Reading: I'm struggling to get through "The Ministry of Motherhood" by Sally Clarkson before moving on to something else. It's not that it's a bad book, it's just that I'm having a hard time getting into anything at the moment. I've sent at least three books back to the library unfinished in the last month, while my TBR pile has turned into an entire TBR shelf. My eyes are bigger than my stomach kindof thing. I'm not sure if I need to take a reading break or just switch to a new book, but the endless winter days seem to be sapping the joy out of even reading. I need a good long walk outside.


Shopping: For a booster seat for E. Mealtime has become a bit of a battle, and I think it's partly because she sits at her toddler table all by herself. She constantly wants attention, so she refuses to just focus and eat. I think being able to sit at the big table with Mom and Dad might make her feel like she's getting the attention she wants, so she'll eat better. It's worth a shot, right? Do any of you mamas have advice for getting a toddler to focus during meals?

Mailing: Bills, bills, bills. Always. But I'm also sending out a couple of these cute animal fact postcards by Maja Safstrom (there are some Swedish characters in that last name that I'm unsure how to reproduce on my keyboard, just FYI). She's one of those illustrators whose work makes me think "I could totally do that" until I actually try and mine looks ridiculous. So I have to content myself with scrolling through her Instagram and mailing people postcards with funky-cute pictures of animals on them. Did you know that otters hold hands while they sleep (on their backs, in the water) so they don't float away from each other? I didn't either, but I do now. The postcard set comes with two of every animal (on really nice heavy-weight paper), so I'm contemplating keeping a set for myself and making some sort of wall art with them... maybe framing them all together?

Sipping: Coffee. But also more water and tea than I've ever drank in my life. I may have finally made real progress on the whole "stop-drinking-diet-coke-like-it's-necessary-for-life" thing.

Watching: All the Disney movies with E. We recently checked out The Lion King from the library, and my mother just bought her Pinocchio. We're also on the Library wait list for 101 Dalmatians--E is going to flip her lid over all the puppies. So far nothing has overthrown Beauty and the Beast as her all-time favorite, though.

Budgeting: Using Mint. We've always used a homemade "program" C put together years and years ago, but it wasn't at all user-friendly and I couldn't access it myself because it was stored on C's computer. So, in January, we *finally* switched it up, and now we're using Mint. It's taking some getting used to, but so far I really like it. And C hasn't voiced any specific complaints yet, so I think it could actually work.

Hearing: E giggle and squeal to herself ALL. THE. TIME. She laughs randomly during meals, in the car, even in the middle of the night. It's a little creepy, to be honest. But whenever I ask her what's funny, she'll say it's something completely random an un-funny ("the cars" is what she told me today as we were driving). I think it's how she entertains/distracts herself when she doesn't want to do something (like eat or sleep). But I gotta tell ya... it's weird. Anyone else's kid do this?

3 comments :

  1. Oh gosh, we are having difficulties with getting Kate to concentrate while she's eating too. I just usually end up giving up and letting her move on and eat later when she's truly hungry. David and I eat dinner after she goes to bed for some alone time so she eats dinner by herself - which works best when we leave the room and let her concentrate. Buuut it changes day to day, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E sometimes eats by herself, too. If it's breakfast or lunch, she does better. But if she eats dinner alone, she draaaaags it out as much as she can.

      Delete
  2. When the girls laugh for no reason or say something crazy and I ask them to repeat it, they usually say something to the effect of "I'm just talking to myself, mom." I think the only thing we've noticed that helps them concentrate at meal time is if they've had the chance to get some exercise that day, especially outside. Otherwise it's a total crap shoot.

    ReplyDelete