MENU

6.20.2016

My favorite quotes from Little Women


I just finished reading Little Women for the first time. This summer seemed like a good time to get into a few classics, and I started with Montgomery’s tale of the four sisters–mostly because I found a copy in a used book store for $4. Can’t get much better than that.

I think it was a good place to start, though. It’s a fast, easy read (my copy had both “Little Women” and “Good Wives” in one book) and a simple, engaging story. My favorite part is that there are dozens of quotable lines/sections in the book that comment on values and life in general. When fiction highlights a real truth in a beautiful way, my nerdy, word-loving heart sings. Little Women does it pretty excellently, in my opinion. I’m now looking forward to one day reading it out loud to my littles and talking about the ideas in the passages I underlined.

Because Little Women is a classic, an actual review would be pretty silly. Instead, I thought I’d share a few of my favorite quotes.

“We never are too old for this, my dear, because it is a play we are playing all the time in one way or another. Our burdens are here, our road is before us, and the longing for goodness and happiness is the guide that leads us through many troubles and mistakes to the peace which is the true Celestial City.”

“‘I like good strong words, that mean something,’ replied Jo…”

“The patience and the humility of the face she loved so well was a better lesson to Jo than the wisest lecture, the sharpest reproof. She felt comforted at once by the sympathy and confidence given her; the knowledge that her mother had a fault like hers, and tried to mend it, made her own easier to hear and strengthened her resolution to cure it…”

“That is perfectly natural, and quite harmless, if the liking does not become a passion, and lead one to do foolish or unmaidenly things.”

“My dear girls, I am ambitious for you, but not to have you make a dash in the world–marry rich men merely because they are rich, or have splendid houses, which are not homes because love is wanting. Money is a neeful and precious thing–and, when well used, a noble thing–but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I’d rather see you poor men’s wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented, than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace.”

“Have regular hours for work and play; make each day both useful and pleasant, and prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well. Then youth will be delightful, old age will bring few regrets, and life become a beautiful success, in spite of poverty.”

“She was living in bad society; and, imaginary though it was, its influence affected her, for she was feeding heart and fancy on dangerous and unsubstantial food, and was fast brushing the innocent bloom from her nature by a premature acquaintance with the darker side of life, which comes soon enough to all of us.”

“Ah, Jo, instead of wishing that, thank God that “father and mother were particular,” and pity from your heart those who have no such guardians to hedge them round with principles which may seem like prison-walls to impatient youth, but which will prove sure foundations to build character upon in womanhood.”

No comments :

Post a Comment